2 Day Course: 10am – 4.30pm
Dates: Saturday 23rd (Day 1) and Saturday 30th June (Day 2) 2018
Venue: The Glass School Studio, Lockwood Centre, Guildford GU1 1RR
Tutor: Julia Webster
N.B. Students require previous experience of designing and fusing glass powders & frits, minimum pre-requisite “Fusing Fast Track” or “Fusing & Slumping“.
On this 2 day specialist course you will be introduced to different types of metal inclusions that can be safely combined with particular types of glass to give intriguing material and visual effects. You will achieve several samples and two finished pieces that you can display or have slumped to form shallow dishes after the course.
Metallic materials include shim, wire, and leaf also the Verre Eglomise technique will be shown and practised. Technical information about firing cycles will also be covered and extra materials and metal mesh can be purchased during the course from the tutor.
What you will learn
- An introduction to suitable metallic materials
- How to use and combine glass and metallic materials for decorative effect
- What firing cycles are best to produce intriguing results
- Verre eglomise technique
- Use of plastic resist & stencils
What you will achieve
- Sample panels exploring combinations of copper, silver, dutch gold metal and aluminium with glass materials
- A final rectangular or circular composition of your own design that can remain flat or be slumped into a mould to make a shallow dish
How to prepare
- Collect images for inspiration – you may like to chose a design theme
Things to bring
- Any art/craft equipment you may have, card stencils & a gilding brush
- Pencils and paper and sources of inspiration
- Apron (optional)
- Camera (optional)
What we will provide
- Specialist tuition
- Materials and firing
- Personal protective equipment
- Lists of glass and metal suppliers
Students are encouraged to bring their own sources of inspiration which may include favourite photos, cuttings, patterns, designs, post cards and drawings etc.